How do I think I learn? The answer was at the top of a mountain.

Back when I was a Public Affairs NCO assigned to the 10th Special Forces Group, I understood the importance of capturing the essence of military life through my lens. But it wasn't until I found myself immersed in the heart of the action at the Special Operations Advanced Mountaineering School that I truly grasped the depth of this principle.



At first, my assignment seemed straightforward – document the rigorous training exercises taking place in the unforgiving terrain of Fort Carson, Colorado. However, as I quickly realized, merely observing from the sidelines wouldn't suffice. To truly understand and effectively document the training, I needed to do more than just point and shoot; I needed to become a part of it.

So, I traded my camera for a harness and joined the Green Berets on their treacherous climbs. As I ascended the 100-foot vertical wall alongside them, I discovered firsthand the challenges they faced and the skills they honed. It was through this active participation that I gained a deeper appreciation for the training and the soldiers undergoing it.




In this journey, I found echoes of Dr. Robert Bjork's insights on learning. His concept of "desirable difficulties" resonated deeply with my experience – the idea that true mastery often requires embracing challenges rather than shying away from them. By immersing myself in the training, I not only captured more authentic footage but also developed a deeper understanding of the subject matter.

Moreover, my journey underscored the importance of trust and credibility in my role. As I earned the respect of the Special Forces unit through my willingness to face challenges alongside them, I discovered the power of collaboration and camaraderie in achieving our shared goals.

Reflecting on this experience, I've come to realize that learning is not a passive endeavor; it's an active pursuit that demands our full engagement. By challenging our intuitions and embracing difficulties, we open ourselves up to new insights and opportunities for growth. And by earning the trust and respect of those around us, we can truly make an impact in our chosen fields.




So, as I stood tall on the summit of a 14,000-foot peak, I couldn't help but marvel at the journey that had brought me there. Through challenges overcome and obstacles conquered, I had not only captured the story of the soldiers but also written a chapter of my own in the ongoing saga of learning and growth.

In the end, the reward for hard work is not just the satisfaction of a job well done but the knowledge that we've pushed ourselves beyond our limits and reached new heights – both literally and figuratively. And in that realization lies the true essence of learning: the willingness to climb every mountain, face every challenge, and emerge stronger on the other side.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A poem for the beginning of this venture

Don't Look Before You Leap.